Friday, November 24, 2006

I hate the TVNewser kid...

I'm sure some of you saw this article in the New York Times last week.

This is the kind of success story that just gets my goat, mainly because this kid didn't do anything except sit around eating potato chips and running a blog about the TV news business, and now he's some kind of boy wunder.

If you're not familiar with it, this guy started his TV Newser blog a couple years ago and he somehow got some notoriety for it. Then Mediabistro essentially bought the TVNewser brand, paying him to keep doing what he's doing and bringing his site into Mediabistro's brand.

I figured they were paying him something, but according to this article it's "enough to cover his tuition," which leads me to believe they're paying him $20k + a year.

And for what? To sit at his computer 18 hours a day, essentially compiling short email scoops he's been sent. I mean, he's not adding original commentary or analysis...a robot could do this.

If you think I just hate the TV Newser kid because he's getting paid to do this and I'm not, you're probably right. Still, I wish nothing but the worst for him.

- Max A.

1 Comments:

At 6:53 PM, Blogger Mark H. said...

Basically, people like TVNewser -- or Matt Drudge, for that matter -- are news aggregators. They buzz around on electronic news sources, doing little or none of their own reporting, and post what they find interesting. They're not without imagination or initiative: it takes brains, chutzpah and verve to impose your news judgment on the world. I think what irks us shoe leather journalists is the fact that someone could win plaudits (and possibly big bucks) not for reporting but for plucking other people's reporting. I dunno. Maybe we'll one day have a Pulizter for packaging. :-) kathy k

 

Post a Comment

<< Home