Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Newspapers: The Ideal Browser?

Channel surfing after getting home late from work the other night, I happened onto a Charlie Rose interview with Tony O'Reilly.


He an Irish-Brit who formerly headed an American company (Heinz) and who now is investing in the media, among other things. You can find out more about him and his company here.


Annoyingly, I can't find a copy of the video on the web or on Charlie Rose's website (a definite candidate for Vincent Flanders list.


What interested me was O'Reilly's rationale for investing in newspapers even in an Internet age. O'Reilly said something to the effect that some of the heaviest Internet usage is also in countries with the heaviest newspaper readership: Japan and one of the Scandinavian nations -- maybe Norway -- were two he mentioned.


This may be a commentary on those countries lack of entertainment options :-).


But O'Reilly thinks newspapers and the 'net go hand-in-hand. Internet users like papers because good old edited ink on paper turns out to be "the ideal browser." Or so says one megabucks investor.


Hope everyone had happy holidays!


Kathy K

2 Comments:

At 4:37 PM, Blogger Mark H. said...

Hey Kathy -

I picked up my free copy of the "new" Wall Street Journal yesterday (a paper I rarely read) and the editors were making the case that while more people are going to the Web for news now, when people want to read in-depth analysis of an issue, they turn to the newspaper, and hence there's going to be more reporting and less data in the WSJ.

I tend to agree, the net is fun to surf for information, but almost frustratingly so - there's so much out there and I tend to get distracted before I settle in on an article. If an article interests me, I'd rather read it in print - it's easier on the eyes.

By the way did someone change the look of this blog? I think it looks better, but if we've got the ability to change the look I'd like to make it even less vertical-oriented.

- Max

 
At 11:28 PM, Blogger Mark H. said...

Hi Max,

I did change the template for our blog. The photo in the head is from Washington (Dupont, I think) and it was a little more modern looking and easier to read.

Unfortunately, it is just a template so we can't really do much with it. Even the colors are set.

Mark H.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home