Friday, December 15, 2006

Do I have a future in journalism?

I'm glad I opened the email that Wendell sent out the other day, because this article hit really close to home for me.

While my fear of asking questions of strangers doesn't run as deep as this guy's, I do have an extreme aversion to it. It's just who I am - I don't even really like to call and order pizza.

When Amy first sent out the class syllabus and I saw that we were going to have to interview people for an article, I got really bummed. I thought to myself - what the F am I doing in this program? Did I really think I was going to get a journalism degree without having to interview anyone?

The thing is, I do love journalism - I started reading the newspaper regularly when I was about ten years old - and I do think there's a place for me in it somewhere. I admire greatly what Kathy does - but I know I could never do it.

Maybe I'd be good at editing or something. I don't know. Hopefully I'll figure it out before we graduate...if I get that far.

- Max A.

2 Comments:

At 9:52 AM, Blogger Mark H. said...

Hi Max --

Rest easy. There are lots of roles for journalists that do not necessarily include interviewing strangers routinely. There are proofreaders, copy editors, online producers, designers, map-makers (as we learned from Mike Mills) and tons more. I knew a copy chief who was terrified to speak in front of a room -- but could he write.

But in every case, a journalist will have to talk to someone sometimes -- to check facts, to seek information, to work on breaking news. A graphic artist may have to interview an airplane manufacturer after a crash. A chart designer will have to talk to census experts. A copy editor may have to call a source to check information late at night. You get the idea.

Perhaps you have hit on why blogging is so popular. In the most opinion-driven instances, writers (perhaps shy people?) can sit and comment on the news, rather than be forced to gather raw data by interviewing people.

Anyway, don't worry. There are lots of places to play a role in journalism.

Amy E.

 
At 10:59 PM, Blogger Mark H. said...

There's room for all kinds of us in journalism Max, and the newsrooms I have worked in are filled with them. It's like the bible story says: We all have talents. The trick is to figure out what yours are and how to put them to use. The "daily miracle" as we used to call it in the news biz (maybe not that we're online it's the hourly more minute-ly miracle) wouldn't be possible without a zillion different people doing a zillion different things. I may be a mouthy little wench but I bet I can't organize or present things nearly as well as you. --kathyk

 

Post a Comment

<< Home